Monday, March 15, 2010

DIGIPROSE



They say a photo is worth a thousand words, but I think this photo's worth just one.

My presentation in Washington D.C. for the Split This Rock Poetry Festival was a good one with about thirty participants in just our workshop - far more than I would normally meet in a typical conference. We filled the Thurgood Marshall Center, and the poets I met were wonderful people and receptive to the return to poetry as an embodied process instead of a collection of metaphors and fancy language. The Washington Post did a write-up about the festival, and the reporter did a wonderful job capturing the magic the festival represents. There were a lot of famous poets floating about - and I felt honored just to be there.

As I worked on my presentation in the hours before taking the D.C. Metro, I thought about the upcoming trip to Shelf Road. I don't think I would have had the courage to do the work I did in D.C. without all the personal growth that has come from climbing. I certainly wouldn't have shambled about D.C. like a dingledodie in a Vagina USA t-shirt. So that's something, right?

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud when I saw this picture. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

It's no fun to write into a void. Got something to share?